Tuesday, December 20, 2011

SAY NO TO BINGE WORKOUTS

I recently read an article in the paper by Paul VanWiechen about why binge workouts don;t make any sense. He argues a point to which I must agree "YOU WOULDN'T STARVE YOURSELF AND CALL IT A DIET." Makes sense to me.

In his article he talks about a woman that he knows talking about her new exercise program, "He is the best. He's showing me ways to exercises I've never thought of before. Two days a week, he gets me burning more than 1,000 calories per hour, and when the muscles really start to burn, he cranks it up even more. I get so much cardio from two workouts I don't even need to jog on the weekend!"

He goes on to say that the woman does not really understand that it isn't her level of fitness getting better that she is feeling but that her body is crying for help. He goes on to state that years of mixed messages from people who claim to be exercise professionals have given her the false belief that the harder she works the better it will be in the long run. He goes on to put it into laymans terms for her to understand so she cannot argue with him:

"It's the best. I'm eating less food than I've ever eaten before. Two days a week I am eating less than 600 calories and even though I feel hungry all day, I still don't eat. I get so few calories those two days a week I don't even need to worry about what I eat on the weekend." I agree with him, and hopefully you do too. If you ate like this it would likely lead to weight gain, phycological problems or even medical illness.

I had to laugh when I read this because it is so true! Just because you work out hard two days a week doesn't give you a free pass for the weekend! Come on folks, we need to workout smarter not harder! Two hard days a week doesn't equate to 5 off and being able to eat whatever you want.

A balanced approach to fitness and diet is a much better way to go about it. Make sure the lifestyle changes you are doing are sustainable and are not punishing your body but rather being more encouraging to making a health adaptation for the long term gain vs the short term intense bouts.

Come on guys lets make 2012 the year we make fitness and healthy eating a lifestyle 7 days a week 365 days a year!

Out with the old and in with the new!


No comments:

Post a Comment