Friday, January 16, 2009

New Year


2009 or 2000(MINE)

After recent events that occurred on a trip that I had initially thought would be a fun great way to start the new year turned sour. I was forced to really sit down and think about my life.

I know I am not the only one who had a year full of separation and changes. So I think that it is important that everyone knows that not only is it important to have a healthy physically body, but also have a positive and healthy mind and spirit.

This year I am going to try to focus on a few things...in no particular order they are:

1. Letting Go
2.Taking care of myself over others
3. Not worrying about things that are beyond my control
4. Balance
5. Knowing my own worth
6. Giving Back
7. Taking more time to myself (that means turning my phone off)
8. Love
9. Appreciation
10. Stop spending time on people who make me an option not a priority

1. Letting Go.

I don't know about you...but I hold on to things long after they have past. Its unhealthy to live in the past and keep hope that things will become that way again. No one ever won sprint or a marathon running the whole thing backwards...so why do I keep trying to do that? Why do you? lets turn around and run the race forward...I think we will get there faster, with better form and achieve what we had wanted in the first place.

2.Taking care of myself over others.

You are #1. You have too come first. You have to be happy and healthy...if you aren't everything else suffers. There's a reason why on an airplane when they are going over the saftey features they say put your mask on before you put your childrens on. It's a little harsh but its true....I need to take better care of myself before worrying about others.

3. Not worrying about things that are beyond my control.

This one speaks for itself. Simply put...there are things that are beyond your control and no matter how much you think or worry about them they aren't going to change. It is unhealthy to sit and get stuck thinking about them or trying to change them. Simply LET GO...move forward and focus on what is to come not what has happend.

4. Balance.

Too many times I have gotten so busy that I forget about overall balance. With work, training, friendships or whatever it may be it is important to find a balance to be healthy. Keep things prioritized and make a schedule so that you can fit everyone and everything in that should be there. This way you aren't running around like a chicken with its head cut off, missing appointments, dates, training sessions or letting down the people you care about the most. Keep things balanced and you will find a happier, healthier you.

5. Knowing my own worth.

Over the past year I feel like I have allowed myself to be taken advantage of at times. This may have been because of the fear of loneliness, and the emptiness that starting over in a new city brought me.

Therefore this year I am going to make sure that I know what I am worth and what I am bringing to the table.Everything that I give out I will make sure that it is returned evenly.

6. Giving Back.

Up until I moved to Vancouver all I did was give back...through coaching or volunteering. I needed a mental break. It had gotten all too draining for me. So in the 9 months that I have been in Vancouver I have given back minimally. The idea was to take more time to myself...which I won't lie has been good, but I feel like something is missing.

I plan on getting back into coaching and volunteering a lot more like I use to back in Ottawa and Halifax.

7. Taking more time to myself (that means turning my phone off).

After this weekend I have learned that I have an addiction to my phone. It is an attachment of myself and it was hard being without it. I must learn that I do not need it to be happy and to function.

I am going to try and set aside some time each week where I turn my phone off and focus on nothing but myself.

8. Love.

There have been a lot of negative people that I have let into my life. I am slowly going to weed them out and focus on the Love of true friendships, and people that truly care about me. I have spent too much time worrying about what other people think of me.

When it comes down to it...they really don't matter. What really matters is what I think.

9. Appreciation.

Too many times over this past year have people reached out and helped me, given me things in times of need, given me things just because they care or have been there for me to cry on their shoulder.

At times (not all) I have taken their generosity for granted. I think at this point in my life I need to be more appreciative of these people in my life. I need to show them how much what they have done, or what they do for me means.

10. Stop spending time on people who make me an option not a priority.

I know its pretty cliche, but this is the one thing that I regret in 2009 the most. Sometimes our feelings cloud what the reality of the situation really is. We don't see a situation or circumstance for what it truly is.

Therefore I am going to make sure that everything I put out is given back to me 100%. If it is not...it's not worth it in the long run, and much time is wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment