Thursday, October 2, 2008

Gluten Free

I am trying something new to improve my health. A gluten free diet. According to Webster
gluten is an elastic substance that gives dough its stickiness. According to Britannica online it helps make the dough raised, by trapping carbon dioxide to expand. Gluten is also used in adhesives and as meal for cattle livestock. It also may be used in the manufacture of certain amino acids, including glutamic acid and its salt, the seasoning agent monosodium glutamate. Now does that sound like something you want to willingly put in your body?
I have come to believe this is a bad substance and I think that my body does not agree with it. A lot of people have serious reactions to it, so I am going to attempt to take it out of my diet. It will be tough, and it means that I am going to have to avoid all foods that contain wheat, rye, barley. So in other words, most grain, pasta, cereal, and most processed foods as well as processed meat and almost all fried foods. WISH ME LUCK!
I have found a great website that shares great gluten free recipes: http://aglutenfreeguide.com/
Check some out if you get a chance. There are tons of alternatives to gluten so this should be fun!
xoxo
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment