Friday, August 29, 2008

EPOC and Playlist

Thursday was a decent day, even though there are a lot of things going on in my personal life that I can't seem to shake. I woke up and did an hour of Yoga. Relaxing way to start the day you'd think. I love Eion Finn's yoga. If you get a chance you should try and purchase one of his DVD's. He is from Vancouver and is a surfer so you get this fun edge to his yoga. I have only recently gotten in to yoga to try and relax with the struggles behind the scenes in my life. So far...it isn't a permanent fix, but I am not giving up. After Yoga my workout was about 30 minutes run, 30 minute Spin, both with hill intervals, followed by about 15 mintues of core. I was pooped after. It was great. The 3 songs on my playlist that got me through it were:

1. Hero by Nas
2. Big Dreams by The Game
3. I'm going to Miami Bitch - LMFAO

I especially love number 3 because these guys rock, they are going to be big, their music is so catchy, and they are close personal friends of mine. So if you get a chance...download their stuff...guaranteed to put a smile on your face and make you want to dance.

The workout got me thinking about aerobic vs anaerobic and the deal with oxygen debt aka EPOC (post exercise oxygen consumption). EPOC is really when the body restores itself to its pre-exercise state. That is the point where you are breathing hard to catch your breath. Obviously this means that energy is being expended at a higher rate as well. Not only does this happen post cardio or interval training but it also happens post weight training. The higher your EPOC state is then the higher your metabolism is thought to be as well. This menas that you will burn more fat. So this means theoretically that sprinting would then cause a higher EPOC effect than jogging at a steady state. Thus supporting interval training. It is thought that the harder you work, generally, the higher your EPOC will last and the higher your metabolism will be so therefore you will burn more fat....JUST SOME FOOD FOR THE BRAIN PEOPLE.

If anyone reading this has any more information on EPOC Id love to hear it.
xo
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment